Dog and Cat License
Animal License Tag
Every cat and dog, 5 months of age or older as of January 1 of each year, shall obtain a license within 30 days and must wear a current Winnebago County animal license tag.
Fulfilling Your Responsibilities
Purchase an animal license tag in person and receive your animal tag immediately at:
Collections Department - City Hall
215 Church Avenue, Room 102
or mail your payment (with self addressed stamped envelope) and receive your animal license tag within one to two weeks:
City of Oshkosh Collections Department
P.O. Box 1128
Oshkosh, WI 54902-1128
To purchase an animal license tag, submit:
- The animal's current rabies vaccination certificate,
certified by a licensed veterinarian. The certificate
must show the date the next rabies immunization is due.
- Written proof of your pet's spaying or neutering, if
applicable. (If submitted previously, do not resubmit).
- The correct license fee. Make checks payable to the "City of Oshkosh".
Animal License Fee for Dogs and Cats
- Neutered/Spayed Pet: $ 5.00
- Non-Neutered/Non-Spayed: $12.00
- $7.00 penalty is due, if paid after March 31
- Renew the animal license tag each year. It is valid for 1 year - from January 1 through December 31.
- If you no longer have the pet, please call 236-5024, so that city records may be kept current.
Pet Owner's Responsibility
Pet owners have the responsibility to provide pets a healthy, safe life and their neighbors a pet free existence. Oshkosh animal ordinances underline this concept and, when obeyed, prevent serious consequences such as:
- Injured, lost or stolen pets.
- Aggravated or injured neighbors.
- Animal bites.
- Dangerous diseases, (such as rabies).
In Oshkosh, cats and dogs must be licensed and wear 2 tags:
- Rabies Vaccination Tag
- Animal License Tag
Rabies Vaccination Tag
Every cat and dog must have a current vaccination against rabies and must wear their rabies tag.
Fulfilling Your Responsibilities
- Have a certified veterinarian inoculate your pet.
- Dogs and cats shall be vaccinated by a licensed
veterinarian at no later than 5 months of age.
- Each dog or cat vaccinated at less than 1 year of
age shall be revaccinated 12 months after the
- After the initial rabies vaccination, every dog or
cat shall be revaccinated at not more than 3 year
intervals with a 3 year vaccine or at 1 year intervals
with a 1 year vaccine.
- Attach your pet's rabies vaccination tag to their collar.
- Save your pet's written rabies certificate.
In Oshkosh, you Must.....
- Confine your pet within your premises except when
attended to by some person and fastened securely to a
suitable lease not more than 6 feet in length.
- Prevent your pet from trespassing.
- Immediately remove your pet's waste when excreted on
property other than your own.
- Prevent the accumulation of animal waste on your property.
- Properly dispose of your pet's waste by either flushing or
bagging and depositing in the garbage or burial.
- Keep you pet quiet.
- Immediately report all animal bites to the Oshkosh Police
- Always provide your pets with sufficient food and fresh
- Always provide pets, allowed or kept outdoors, with
adequate shade and shelter.
- Maintain pens and enclosures in a clean and sanitary
- Never abuse, abandon or neglect any animal.
- Never leave any animal, enclosed or unattended in any
type of vehicle where the air temperature inside and/or
outside will cause the animal to be exposed to extreme
weather conditions. On a warm day the temperature in
a parked car can reach 160 degrees in a matter of minutes,
even with partially opened windows. With only hot air
to breathe, your pet can quickly suffer brain damage
or die from heatstroke.
- Keep your dog from prohibited areas such as parks, beaches,
cemeteries, golf courses, play grounds or school grounds.
City of Oshkosh Ordinances Involving Dogs and Cats
|Oshkosh Ordinance Violation||Penalty (Fine + Court Costs)*|
|No Rabies Tag (5 months or older)||$295.00|
|No License (5 months or older)||$232.00|
|Animal at Large||$232.00|
|Clean and Sanitary Pens||$295.00|
|Cruelty to Animals||$295.00|
|Prohibited Areas for Animals||$200.50|
|Rabies Control Program||$295.00 - 484.00|
|* Penalty is subject to change.|
Oshkosh Health Services Division
Oshkosh Animal Shelter
Oshkosh Police Department
The above agencies are concerned about the health, welfare and safety of the pets and people in the City of Oshkosh. These agencies provide information to the public, enforce Oshkosh ordinances and respond to complaints involving:
- Stray Animals
- Animal bits
- Vicious animals
- Other animal-related complaints in the city
For more information contact:
Oshkosh Area Humane Society.......................424-2128
(1925 Sheter Court)
Oshkosh Police Department..................236-5700
For pet licensing information contact:
City of Oshkosh
The above information is intended to provide pet owners with a simplified review of the code provisions relating to the topic noted. This information is not, however, actual code provisions. For a review of the regulations that would apply to you particular pet, please refer to Chapter 6 of the Oshkosh Municipal Code.