Loose Leaf Collection
Oshkosh's popular leaf collection service starts each fall after a hard frost and conditions warrant mobilization. Our objective is to complete the loose leaf collection program no later than the Friday before Thanksgiving. Leaves are collected from the terrace on the day AFTER your regular recycling/garbage collection day. Leaves to be collected should be raked to the terrace the night prior to collection. The City utilizes three methods to collect leaves; vacuums, rear load garbage trucks and loader crews.
The leaves are then transported to the compost site or recycled as mulch.
By placing the leaves on your terrace, you will help keep debris out of the street and stop it from reaching the storm sewer. That means less pollution in Lake Winnebago next year and a clean storm sewer system.
You can assist the leaf collection crews and help to expedite the vacuum/collection process by following these guidelines:
(1) LOOSE LEAF COLLECTION GUIDELINES:
- Leaves must be raked onto the terrace. DO NOT RAKE LEAVES INTO THE STREET, in the gutter line, on sidewalks, around parked cars, mailboxes, fire hydrants, power poles or other obstructions.
- Street Division crews complete several collection cycles for the whole city. Please see schedule below.
- Please DO NOT place yard waste, branches, or grass clippings into the same piles as the leaves. Rocks, branches, and other debris can injure employees or damage expensive equipment. Vacuum equipment crews will NOT pick up leaf piles that contain these materials.
**STARTING MONDAY, OCTOBER 13TH THE PRIMARY DAY FOR LEAF COLLECTION WILL BE THE DAY AFTER YOUR GARBAGE COLLECTION DAY.**
FRIDAY GARBAGE = MONDAY LEAVES 10/13, 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/10, 11/17
MONDAY GARBAGE = TUESDAY LEAVES 10/14, 10/21, 10/28, 11/4, 11/11, 11/18
TUESDAY GARBAGE = WEDNESDAY LEAVES 10/15, 10/22, 10/29, 11/5, 11/12, 11/19
WEDNESDAY GARBAGE = THURSDAY LEAVES 10/16, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20
THURSDAY GARBAGE = FRIDAY LEAVES 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 11/14, 11/21
PLEASE NOTE! If your leaves are not picked up during a scheduled collection date (due to heavy volume, etc.) the collection may be rescheduled OR will be collected the following week. All other rules still apply.
LOOSE LEAF COLLECTION WILL END NOVEMBER 21st.
(2) YARD WASTE IN PAPER BIODEGRADEABLE BAGS:
- Sanitation Division crews will collect yard waste in PAPER BIODEGRADABLE BAGS. Bags will be picked up on your normal garbage collection day during the first full collection week in October, November and December. Please place flowers, garden waste, etc. only in PAPER BIODEGRADABLE BAGS. Bags can NOT exceed a weight of fifty (50) pounds. Grass clippings can NOT be put out for collection and must not be mixed with the leaves.
(3) DROP-OFF CENTER:
- Another option is to take your leaves to the drop-off center located at 639 Witzel Avenue (entrance off W 3rd Ave.). THIS OPTION REQUIRES THE PURCHASE OF A DROP OFF PERMIT AT CITY HALL OR KITZ & PFEIL. The hours of operation are 11:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. The drop-off center is closed on holidays. Please empty your containers at the drop-off center. All yard waste being transported in trucks or trailers to the drop-off center must be properly secured with a tarp.
*LOOSE LEAF COLLECTION WILL END NOVEMBER 21st. LEAVES WILL ONLY BE COLLECTED AFTER THIS DATE IF THEY ARE PLACED IN BIO-DEGRADABLE PAPER BAGS.*
For more information, call 232-5380 or 232-5383, Monday through Friday, between 7:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
LOOSE LEAF COLLECTION FAQ's
When will collection begin?
The first collection usually occurs around the 3rd week of October or after the first hard frost.
Where does my street fall in the weekly collection schedule?
The PRIMARY day for loose leaf collection is the day AFTER your normal garbage collection.
Where do I place my leaves when it's my week?
Leaves MUST be placed on the terrace between the sidewalk and the curb. They will not be picked up anywhere else.
What if I miss my scheduled day?
Your leaves will be picked up the following week on the day AFTER your normal garbage collection day.
Who do I call with questions?
Streets and Sanitation at 232-5380 or 232-5383.
How should I put my leaves and yard waste out for collection?
Leaves may be piled loose at the street edge. Keep leaves separate from brush and avoid piling them around or next to mail boxes, trees and utility poles. Do not put leaves in the street. When you put leaves in the streets they can be washed into our waterways where the nutrients contribute to algae growth. It is also against City of Oshkosh Ordinance to place leaf piles in the street. Yard waste must be placed in paper biodegradable bags. Brush must be no longer than 4 feet, no larger than 3" diameter, tied/bundled and may not exceed 50 pounds. Yard waste is collected during the first full week of the month (April – Dec) on your normal garbage collection date